I first discovered Berlin’s Through My Speakers crew via the yung goddess Sarah Farina. I was pretty dang pleased when they got their own Boiler Room showcase last month (I’m guessing their excellent summer compilation NURNED.01 had something to do with it).
Only then did I realize that one of the members of TMS, Soulmind, was the same Soulmind who made one of the most beautiful, moving mixes of bass music I’ve ever heard (Over Distant Mountains: A Year In Bass Music). I posted rather effusively about it back when it dropped but hadn’t heard much from dude since then. I guess he was busy linking up with my future favorite DJs.
It’s completely unsurprising then that Soulmind’s BR set was fantastic. Impeccable mixing and selection, climaxing with the teklife classicAll I do is (smoke trees) into a completely facemelting juke edit of DJ Shadow’s masterpiece Midnight in a Perfect World. Extra special s/o to whoever was doing the video mix right then; the shot of the setting sun over Berlin’s skyline was a really nice touch.
While all the sets were great, I was also particularly moved by Le Feu’s set. She goes so goddamned hard, clearly giving no fucks that the sun is way out:
And also Sarah Farina’s second, and hopefully not last set on BRTV. Switching it up from her last set which was mostly 160, here she has a ton of fun mashing things up in the 130 range:
Finally just wanted to give one more a s/o to another TMS member, She’s Drunk. His tune Pull Up is a dancefloor weapon in the vein of Pearson Sound’s Blanked or Tessela’s immortal Hackney Parrot. It’s also a free DL from mixmag so go grab dat.
When a mix starts out with a T. S. Eliot quote, you know it has somewhat loftier aspirations than your typical hour of beatmatched tunes. Masterfully put together by Soulmind, these 45 minutes showcase the more introverted, transcendent side of bass music. Burial or Sepalcure fans, take note.
The nature imagery in the title is apt; the vibe here is pointedly non-urban. Whereas early dubstep relied on dread and weight, this breed of future bass is permeated by a kind of lightness and hope. There’s no drops (unless you count the dew on the peaceful morning this mix conjures in your mind). These are headphone jams for your mind-forest.
A lot of DJs go for the jugular; Soulmind goes for the pineal gland. If you like this, grab somemore of his tasty mixes on Soundcloud.
01. Eleven Tigers – With A Little Patience (Soul Motive – 2010)
02. Zomby – Natalia’s Song (4AD – 2011)
03. Pedestrian – Hei Poa (Push & Run – 2011)
04. Submerse & Kuoyah – Bubblin’ (Frijsfo Beats – 2011)
05. Phaeleh – In The Twilight (Afterglo – 2011)
06. Mount Kimbie – Carbonated (Hotflush Recordings – 2011)
07. Disclosure – I Love…. That You Know (Transparent – 2011)
08. Fantastic Mr.Fox – Evelyn (Black Acre – 2010)
09. Clubroot – Lucid Dream (Lo Dubs – 2009)
10. Radiohead – Lotus Flower (Jacques Greene Remix) (Ticker Tape Ltd – 2011)
11. Radiohead – Lotus Flower (SBTRKT Remix) (Ticker Tape Ltd – 2011)
12. Versa – Monsoon (Smokin’ Sessions – 2011)
13. Dauwd – Ikopol (Pictures Music – 2011)
14. Radiohead – Little By Little (Caribou Remix) (Ticker Tape Ltd – 2011)
15. Michael Klein – MK’s Lullaby (Unreleased – 2012)
16. Icicle – Xylophobia (Shogun Audio – 2010)
17. Kidnap Kid – Shouldn’t Be Alone (123Mrk Remix) (Squelch And Clap – 2011)
18. Supra1 – Ghoster (Trouble & Bass Recordings – 2010)
19. Eric Goldstein – Strum (Unreleased – 2012)
20. James Blake – Postpone (R&S Records – 2010)
Lowriders Collective brings into the world the sixth installment of their mixtape series, curated by Doshy (mysp/soundcld), who is one of my new favorite berliners. While they categorize it (at least in their blog) as ‘dubstep’, the reason I’m taking the time to write about this is that it’s emphatically not dubstep. It’s lush, ebullient future-crunk lazerbass. The kind of stuff that makes your hip hop friends go “Yo, who did this beat!? Shit is fucked up!” Certified next level bastard grand child of techno and hiphop. If you like Lazer Sword, EPROM, or the way you felt when you first heard glitch mob like 3 years ago, then dive right in.